Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mixing Colours

Further to ideas from previous post, in my novels, I invariably have some supporting character who is of a different race to majority of the human characters. The outsider/different world view thing can be useful in a supporting character.

So I wasn't that surprised when one of the major characters (not a main one, but he's one of the three POV holders) in Falcon told me he was a half-caste, his father was the from the predominant white-race-yet-to-be-named, his mother from a smaller, dark-skinned race. It's just an interesting back story, after all. Until I discovered his mother's people are looked down, consideredless intelligent, useful as servants but little else; and the idea that people from the two races would come together, let alone produce children is just disgusting. Of course, this character has an advantage due to his job (people don't always see past the uniform), but it means he is bringing in all sort of issues and conflicts that I didn't intend to be in there.

Still, it's interesting to explore

No comments: